Virginia Parental Relocation Lawyer
After a divorce or child custody order has been established, a custodial parent may want to move out of state with a child, or even long distance within Virginia. Before you decide to move your child out of state, it is important to have a clear understanding of the law and your rights.
At Jarrell, Hicks & Waldman, PC, our attorneys are experienced in handling relocation cases both to secure the rights of relocating custodial parents, as well as challenging relocation to protect the interests of the non-custodial parents' relationships with their children. Call 540-642-0489 to arrange a consultation.
Virginia Relocation Law and Move Aways
In Virginia, the law puts the burden on the relocating parent to show that the proposed move will be an improvement and in the best interests of the child. If you have received a job offer, promotion, or have an opportunity out of state, the court may still not see relocation as a benefit to your child. If you cannot show that the move will benefit the child, a court can make it difficult to relocate out of state or even in-state if the relocation may negatively affect the child.
As your advocates, our attorneys will work to help you:
- Establish the benefit for the child of your relocation and identify potential issues you may face in court
- Develop persuasive arguments in favor of relocation to increase your chances of success in court
- Help prevent child relocation if a custodial parent is trying to remove your son or daughter from the state
- Help prevent the relocation of a child within the state if the relocation will negatively affect your relationship with the child
- Identify the certain circumstances where a child's relationship with other parent may not be relevant, including where there is abuse or drug use
Preventing the Relocation of a Child
If a custodial parent is threatening to take your child out of state, remember that you do have rights. If you have an existing custody and visitation arrangement, a custodial parent should be required to demonstrate a benefit to the child and not simply move your child across state lines. Our attorneys have experience in handling complex custody disputes and can help you assert your rights in a relocation dispute.
We are conveniently located across from the Spotsylvania County Courthouse. For an initial consultation, call the Fredericksburg child relocation lawyers at Jarrell, Hicks & Waldman, PC, at 540-642-0489 or contact our lawyers by e-mail.